In this penultimate episode of Season Two of Boardroom Hustle, Paul Smith talks to Dr. Fern Evitt, a highly esteemed strategist, expert innovation specialist, futurist, business improvement consultant, start-up advocate and a Ph.D. in open innovation. Dr. Evitt has extensive experience in tech, collaboration, transformation management, and leading companies into the future with the best possible outcomes.
Dr. Evitt is a fascinating guest due to her naturally futuristic perspective on life and business, and if you’ve ever found yourself wondering what it is a futurist actually does, then this podcast is for you. Dr. Evitt discusses futurism, social scientists, the importance of long-term viewing, a disrupted board dynamic and how to build knowledge and awareness around the future.
They also touch on things like:
- The difference between Applied Futurism and Predictive Futurism
- How far forward should a board focus to get the best results?
- How to future-proof your boardroom
- What to do when you come across someone who refuses to accept change
- Technology’s impact on companies, their mechanics, responsibilities, and roles
- The perils of ‘short-termism’
- Negative narratives around futurism, and why it isn’t all dystopia and evil robots
- Receptive ways of teaching, and how Dr Evitt incorporates them into her work
- How institutions can build better trust with all stakeholders
Top Action Item
In your board or business, consider bringing on a futurist so they can assist you in scanning the environment with a much broader sense, and gain more understanding around what the current technology and trends may be indicating. This will place you in a better position to tackle potential problems, mitigate risk and implement any aspects that can help further you as a board and an organisation.
If there are topics that you’re particularly interested in or any new buzzwords floating around, we’d love to hear from you so that we can talk about these ideas on the show. Email Paul at email@example.com or Anna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Future Directors Website: https://futuredirectors.com/
NeuroPower Group Website: http://www.neuropowergroup.com/
Paul Smith LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/futurepaulsmith/
Anna Byrne LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/anna-byrne-13901262/
Dr Fern Evitt LinkedIn: hthttps://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-fern-evitt/