Welcome to the final instalment of Boardroom Hustle for 2018! Our guest this episode brings such motivation and positivity that it’s truly the perfect way to end the year; esteemed board director and entrepreneur, Cassandra Kelly. Cassandra is a very highly experienced international board director, acknowledged by the US Directors & Boards journal as a director to watch, listed in the Top 10 Chairpersons of Australia, and noted as one of Australia’s most influential business woman.
Cassandra has a zest for life that inspires awe in just about everyone. She’s a champion for equality and diversity, aiming to bring humanity back to leadership in a time where it’s severely lacking. Fearless in doing what she feels is right and brave in standing up for what she believes in, Cassandra shares a wealth of intelligent insight with us in an episode so full of quotable material it’s been hard to pick just a few.
Discussing subjects such as how to bring fun and humanity back to the boardroom, improving a lacklustre board, the importance of culture in the boardroom and shifting gears to drive faster towards diversity, this is an episode you won’t want to miss. They also touch on topics like:
- How the role of a director has evolved over time
- Should the board pack be redesigned? In what ways could that be done?
- Why board roles are no longer a comfy resting place for the C-Suite
- The importance of cultivating an inspiring culture within the boardroom, and creating a knock-on effect that inspires the entire company too
- Simple tactics Cassandra employs in order to bring humanness to the forefront of boards
- Observations towards how board dynamics are shifting, the glacial pace in which this shift is occurring, and effective ways you can speed up the change
- How to bring out the best in your colleagues, and why it’s so important to do so
- Changing the entire feel of the boardroom by simply choosing hugs over handshakes
- Clever advice for start-ups regarding governance, compliance, and the things they should be focusing on
- The important aspects that should be embedded in the DNA of any business, that many people often simply forget about
- Three things you need to start encouraging within your boardroom that will increase your performance tenfold (and they’re super easy, too!)
Top Action Item
Encourage more humanity in your boardroom. Do this by simply exchanging hugs instead of handshakes at the beginning of every meeting, and enjoy the feelings of shared openness, friendship and respect that it will undoubtedly create.
If there are topics that you’re particularly interested in or any new buzzwords floating around, we’d love to hear from you so that we can talk about these ideas on the show. Email Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org or Anna at email@example.com.
Future Directors Website: https://futuredirectors.com/
NeuroPower Group Website: http://www.neuropowergroup.com/
Cassandra Kelly Website: http://www.cassandrakelly.com/
Paul Smith LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/futurepaulsmith/
Anna Byrne LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/anna-byrne-13901262/
Cassandra Kelly LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cassandrakelly/