Raph Goldsworthy is the Managing Director of ‘Better Boards’, an organisation that provides professional development around being a not-for-profit board director. Raph is someone who has had very little interest in actually sitting on boards himself, but understands the power boards have on shaping the future.
He feels he isn’t personally suited to the boardroom, but has been instrumental in impacting boards through his curation of the annual ‘Better Boards’ conference, the ‘BoardWise’ online program, and providing resources to help directors with their professional development in their own journeys.
In this episode, Raph and I talk about:
- Growing the ‘Building Better Boards’ conference to 600 annual attendees
- The ‘art and science’ of the boardroom
- How directors in the NFP sector can connect with those that can help them on their journey
- How to address the reoccuring, perennial problems of the boardroom
- Thinking about how we can learn from history
- Leaving your ego at the door
- Embracing risk and stepping outside the comfort zone
- The power of asking questions
- Impacting boards without sitting on boards
- Specialists vs Generalists
- Diversity and the future of boards
- And much more!